top of page

How to apply for permanent residence via Express Entry

It's finally here, an article that is requested by most WHVers and many of my subscribers, THE permanent residency. I will explain in detail how it happened for me by trying to highlight the different options. As a reminder, this application is valid for permanent residency in Ontario and most English-speaking provinces. I will try to see if I can do an article for Quebec only, which requires other administrative steps beforehand.


The simulation and the number of points

First of all, it is best to do a simulation on the internet to see how many points you can accumulate. The more points you have, the easier it will be. Your number of points will take into account your diplomas, your language level, but also other factors such as your age or status. Several times a month, a round is held. The people with the highest number of points are immediately chosen to apply. FOR THE NUMBER OF POINTS, I WOULD SAY THAT 470 IS A MINIMUM TO BE SURE TO BE DRAWN IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Another thing to take into account: The validity date of your passport must be at least 6 years to be sure that your residence is 5 years (the time of the process). If your passport expires in 3 years, then your visa will expire with your passport.

If you wish to simulate the number of points you currently have, I suggest you click here.

Translate your diplomas

To have your diplomas recognized, you must go through an accredited organization. Here is a list of the different organizations:

I suggest you take WES for my part, I wrote an article on it click here.

Take a language test

To be eligible for PR in Ontario, you must at least pass a test in one of the official languages.

For French, the TEF CANADA and the TCF Canada are taken into account. You have to take 4 tests at once: reading/listening comprehension and writing/ speaking. I have written an article on everything you need to take the TEF if you click here ;).

For English, there are two tests available: the CELPIP-General (be careful NOT to choose CELPIP-General-LS) and the IELTS General Training.

Your goal is to get the maximum points for the language you choose first. For the second language, it may be worthwhile depending on your case, but you will get less points than the first language.

The Pool or Express Entry

You're ready to start the application! Go to the IRCC website to start your application. You can apply if you fall into one of the 3 categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program

  • Skilled Trades Program (Federal)

  • Canadian Experience Class

Here we will focus on the Canadian experience/skilled worker category that I have, but I will also try to explain to you how it works if you apply as a couple ;)

To start, go to your IRCC account and click on "Apply to come to Canada". From there, you should have the Express Entry option appear.

Once you begin the Express Entry application, you will be asked several questions. Some of them will target your eligibility for pools via documents.


If you want to be in the Canadian experience pool, you will need to have a total of 1 year of experience in work categories A, B or 0. You do not need to have had a full time job, you need to have accumulated a total of 1560 hours (at the time of writing this article). To find out what category your job falls into you can check the NOC code of your job on this site. My advice is to only put in this category the experience you feel is necessary. For each job you enter in the pool, you will have to justify it with a letter from your former employer/HR manager. You don't have to put every job you've ever had, you can put those once you're drawn for the PR in the Background section. I explain all this below ;)

So I put only the NOC of my current job in the Work History section.

Then they ask you if you have a job offer. For my part, I have a contract but I still put no. My contract is renewed every 6 months and I need at least a 1 year or long term contract. Furthermore, I didn't want to associate a contract with my PR request, it would add paperwork.

Degrees and WES

For the degrees part, the pool will ask you for each part of your studies if you have obtained a degree. If you answer yes, you will be asked if these degrees were obtained in Canada. Answer according to the country where you obtained your degree. Then you will be asked if you have done an equivalency for these degrees. You will then be asked which department you went through (and your WES file number, for example, will be sufficient). In the end, you will only have to answer these questions if the diploma you obtained was translated by an agency (or in Canada). In my situation, I have a DUT, a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree. But I only did WES for my Master's degree. So I have at the end of the form the following window:

Language tests

IRCC will also ask you if you have any language test results in French or English. If you have, they must be less than 2 years old and you will be asked for details of the number of points you have obtained in each test. You will also be asked for the number of each type of test. For example, for the TEF, you have 2 series of 7 digits: XXXXXXX - YYYYYY. For the certificate number, you have to enter the 1st series of 7 digits: XXXXXXX and for the PIN, you have to enter the 2nd: YYYYYYY. For the other tests, I put you below where to find the numbers.

You will also be asked for other information until you submit your file in the pool.

That's it, your file is submitted. The site will then give you the number of points calculated for your application and in which pool(s) you will be eligible.

Now you just have to wait to be drawn in a round. To do so, I advise you to check your email every day, as well as the results of the draw once a week on this site.

The application for permanent residence (Page 1)

Then one day, you open your mailbox. And that's it, you have to apply for permanent residence. Now the real work begins!

Personal details

In the personal details, you will be asked to confirm all the information about yourself and your family. It is very important that you fill in all the family information. This will allow you to facilitate registrants to obtain visas for Canada.

Contact information